Monday, November 22, 2010

Livin' on a Prayer

Wow... this being sick sure has its benefits. I've lost a total of 15 pounds in seven weeks. Ohhh, we're halfway there, 'cause I've been livin' on a prayer for the past week.

I still haven't done any type of aerobic exercise. It's been over a week now. Not that I've been avoiding it. I just couldn't shake the cold on Friday enough to get out of the house. On Saturday, I was pretty much over the aches and fatigue, but a really bad cough set in.

My plan was to go back to Crossfit K-Town for another killer Saturday morning workout. That went by the wayside, though, because the last time I went, I came back wheezing and coughing so much, I thought I might have asthma. When I hacked up my second lung on Saturday morning, I called it off.

I'm pretty much back to health as of today, but my still-stagnant appetite is really the strange thing. Not that I'm complaining. Weighed in this morning, expecting a pound or two to return after the sedentary week. Not so. Apparently the lack of eating three meals a day resulted in a four-pound loss. I'll take it.

Not gonna put this one on water loss, 'cause I've been chugging more Gatorade than ever before, (more than I could remember to keep track of) just to keep hydrated and a few calories coming in. 'Bout one or two quarts a day, best I can remember. Not something I want to continue doing, but it sure didn't hurt in this case, anyway.

I ate alot of brussels sprouts on Friday, by the way. I bought them on my renegade, workout-escaping, health food shopping spree a couple weeks ago, and they needed to be cooked. So I borrowed a concept from the restaurant where I work, and made them with a honey butter glaze. These sprouts are no joke.

I was the only one I knew who ever considered eating brussels sprouts... until they added them to the menu at work. Now I'm finding out there are lots of folks there who think they're excellent, and way more customers than I'd have ever imagined as well. I wonder if maybe it's the way they fix them.

Recipe (for anyone who's interested in brussels sprouts):

At the restaurant, they roast the sprouts with salt/pepper, then sautee them in honey butter with canola oil and bacon crumbles. Well, I improvised. I was in possession of a leftover pan of bacon grease from breakfast, which looked like about three slices' worth of drippings. So after trimming off the stems of the sprouts and slicing them in half, I did the roasting part - about 20-25 minutes on 400 degrees. Then I added about two tablespoons butter, maybe three tablespoons honey, to the grease. Made a glaze that tasted pretty much identical to what they're sauteed in at work, and coated the sprouts with it. I didn't have the bacon crumbles, but so what?

FRIDAY 11/19/10 DIET LOG:
throughout day - two 32 oz bottles Powerade
1 slice toast
2 cups hash browns
1 pound brussels sprouts - That's right, I said one pound. And I meant it. That's alot of sprouts.
meal at work - 3 chicken wings, 1 tablespoon ranch

NO WORKOUT FRIDAY 11/19/10

SATURDAY 11/20/10 DIET LOG:
1 slice toast
1 Fiber One bar
1 large bean burrito - 3/4 cup mashed pinto beans, some lettuce/tomato/diced jalapeno, 1 tablespoon sour cream
meal at work - 5 cold, congealed tater tots, a spot of ketchup (that's British for about a teaspoon), 1/2 chicken patty, a spot of Heinz 57 sauce, 1 roll

NO WORKOUT SATURDAY 11/20/10

SUNDAY 11/21/10 DIET LOG:
1 Fiber One Bar
About 4 oz roast beef, one roll at basketball game
two slices pizza at halftime of basketball game

NO WORKOUT SUNDAY 11/21/10

MONDAY 11/22/10 DIET LOG:
24 oz mixed berry smoothie with about 1/2 cup milk, one cup yogurt, lots of blackberries/raspberries/blueberries/strawberries, and two scoops soy/whey protein powder
one bowl of homemade mushroom soup

NO WORKOUT MONDAY 11/22/10

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't recommend cooking brussels sprouts as a way to improve the scent in your home...

    ReplyDelete