Sunday, October 17, 2010

Catching Up

Everyone needs a break now and then. So, I gave the blog a few days off, just to recuperate. Regain its strength. I've learned some things in the past week:
  1. It appears some things are more important than blogging. See: The Wife's birthday, passing graduate school, three-year-olds with ear infections, working out, sleeping a minimum 6 hours, football, and work. In no particular order.
  2. If the shower curtain needs washed after you've changed the baby's diaper, you're probably doing something wrong. Even Tom Selleck, Steve Gutenberg, and Ted Danson think I need some practice.
  3. I'm done calorie-counting. For the time being, anyway. I don't need a nutrition info chart to tell me how much I'm eating. The scale doesn't lie. Except when I don't like what it says - then I like to laugh and call it names (like Pinocchio). Besides, figuring out the exact total every day - or every few days - is starting to get tedious and is responsible for half of the time I spend writing.
  4. Rugby is a pretty hardcore sport. This comes after watching the movie 'Invictus'. I want to try it for myself, some day when I get in shape. Also on the list of activities to try: Capoeira.
  5. Muscles like to be fed. I get back home from pushing some weights around, and I'm downright ravenous. Note to self... before working out, eat something. Even if it's just a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tart.
  6. In case you ever find yourself locked out of the house... a three-year-old will fit nicely through an unlocked kitchen window. Just be sure the mission is clear.
  7. It's hard to get up at 6:00 a.m. and work out. Even harder: not working out and dragging through the day with no energy.
This part of my life is called, "Hitting a Wall". 30 by 30, like all of my big, new ideas, started out with a bang. Enthusiasm, energy, and eagerness got me through the first two weeks pretty easily. But the thrill is gone. The honeymoon is over. The lipstick's been rubbed off the pig, and I've lost that lovin' feelin'. I gotta be honest - like all of those other big, new ideas, this one's coming back down to earth, as far as emotional highs go.

On the plus side - or the minus side if you prefer - I'm down another pound as of Monday. Six pounds down, 24 to go. 15 weeks left on the countdown. And I've established a pretty good routine, plus a good idea of how much I can eat and still lose weight. So the left brain has its orders. The trick now is getting the right brain to loosen its grip on that pillow...

Saved my logs for the past week. Posting them below. I already did some calorie calculations last weekend.

WEDNESDAY 10/13/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. homemade breakfast burrito, small, estimated 350 cals
1 leftover serving homefries
, estimated 100 cals
1 cup orange juice, 120 cals
12:30 p.m. 6 oz. lasagna, estimated 350 cals
Small salad - 2 cups greens, croutons, bacon bits, and honey french dressing, 150 cals
10:30 p.m. missed meal at work, on the way home picked up 10-piece nuggets at McDonald's w/ 2 packs Sweet and Sour Sauce, 560 cals
Total: 1630 calories

NO WORKOUT WEDNESDAY 10/13/10

THURSDAY 10/14/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. homemade breakfast burrito, small, estimated 350 cals
one orange 100 cals
12:30 p.m. 6 oz. lasagna, 350 cals
1 cup sauteed spinach, 70 cals
5:30 p.m. meal at work - 1 corn dog, 250 cals
small salad with 2 tbsp ranch dressing, 165 cals
Total: 1285 calories

WORKOUT THURSDAY 10/14/10
Equipment: Rowing machine
Intensity (1 to 7): 6
Length: 20 mins
Calories burned: 275

FRIDAY 10/15/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. bowl of oatmeal, 350 cals
1 cup orange juice, 120 cals
10:15 Starbucks Toffee Mocha, 270 cals
12:30 p.m. 6 oz. lasagna, 350 cals
1 cup steamed broccoli, with 1/2 tablespoon Smart Balance Light margarine 100 cals
5:30 p.m. meal at work - 2 hot dogs, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1/2 hot dog bun, 385 cals
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 150 cals
Total: 1725 calories

WORKOUT FRIDAY 10/15/10
Equipment:
Star-Trac Elliptical Machine, several weight-resistance machines
Intensity (1 to 7): 6
Length: about an hour
Calories burned (cardio): 365
Additional exercises: 12 various weight-resistance machines, 2 sets each of 15 reps; 2 circuits, no rest

SATURDAY 10/16/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. homemade breakfast burrito, small, estimated 350 cals
1 cup orange juice, 120 cals
11:00 a.m. 2 beef hot dogs (no buns), 1 tablespoon 100% natural ketchup, 320 cals
2 cups popcorn, 120 cals
4:30 p.m. meal at work - breaded chicken patty, 180 cals
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 3 tablespoons brown gravy, 210 cals
Total: 1300 calories

NO WORKOUT SATURDAY 10/16/10

SUNDAY 10/17/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. homemade breakfast burrito, small, estimated 350 cals
1 cup orange juice, 120 cals
1:00 p.m. 8 oz. lasagna, estimated 480 cals
1 cup steamed broccoli w/ 1/2 tbsp Smart Balance Light, 100 cals
4:30 p.m. Single serving bag popcorn with one tablespoon Smart Balance Light added (shared with three-year-old), 150 cals
7:30 p.m. two slices pizza (Papa John's), one tablespoon garlic sauce, one tablespoon parmesan cheese, 820 cals
Total: 2020 cals

NO WORKOUT SUNDAY 10/17/10

MONDAY 10/18/10 DIET LOG
10:00 a.m. 3 boiled eggs, 1/3 baking potato sliced, sauteed in 2 tablespoon Smart Balance Light, one orange
1:00 p.m. 2 slices pizza, garlic sauce, parmesan cheese
8:30 p.m. one beef empanada with one tablespoon sour cream, small serving of tortilla chips with melted cheese and 1/2 cup guacamole, about 1 cup of fried hash browns

WORKOUT MONDAY 10/18/10
Equipment: Rowing
Machine, several weight-resistance machines
Intensity (1 to 7): 6
Length: 45 minutes total (22 minutes cardio, including cool-down)
Calories burned (cardio): 275
Additional exercises: 12 various weight-resistance machines, 2 sets each of 15 reps; 2 circuits, no rest

TUESDAY 10/19/10 DIET LOG
9:30 a.m. Six mini-quiches
12:30 p.m. one beef empanada, tablespoon sour cream
6:00 p.m. meal at work: large sloppy joe sandwich and about 12 tater tots

WORKOUT TUESDAY 10/19/10
Equipment: God-Forsaken exercise bike
Intensity (1 to 7): 5
Length: 23.5 minutes, including cool-down
Calories burned (cardio): 200
Imaginary miles pedaled: 8.5 - same imaginary distance as on 10/8, but 8.5 minutes less

WEDNESDAY 10/20/10 DIET LOG
9:00 a.m. Six mini-quiches (the three-year-old mooched one), 1 cup orange juice
1:00 p.m. one beef empanada
7:00 p.m. Tilapia w/ jumbo lump crabmeat, seasoned broccoli, carrots, squash, 12 ounces soda, at Outback for The Wife's birthday

NO WORKOUT WEDNESDAY 10/20/10


7 comments:

  1. Very entertaining. You can do it! Go read "Invictus" for some inspiration! ;)
    Love,
    The Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website might be helpful for you. It is free, information-rich, simple to use, and helps me know by exactly how much I have gone over my calorie allotment each day.

    http://www.livestrong.com/

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kara - that site looks like a complete package of lifestyle info, which is a perfect compliment to what I'm trying to do.

    You say "how much I have gone over," as if it were a foregone conclusion!

    I'm pretty comfortable right now with the amount I'm able to eat and stay under 2,000 calories. Since I haven't really been counting calories until after the fact, and only gone over once in two weeks, I think I can safely judge if I'm routinely eating too much, without poring over the numbers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long did Sofia keep you locked out of the house before you got her to let you in? And do your neighbors know you? It could look strange...on the other hand good burglary strategy-who would think twice about someone using a 3 year old to break into a house??? :) Keep up the good work!~ Nickole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaleb -
    That's great! As I've entered my "late 20s" I really find that I can't lose more than .2 pounds a week unless I keep it to 1200-1400 calories and work out hard 5-6 times. Consider yourself fortunate to be male in this scenario.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think you are eating enough good quality protien? Also, the after-workout-ravenous-feeling: I've read that a little protien (hard boiled eggs/whites, cottage cheese - something portable and lowcal) is good immediately following a workout. Eggs are cheap, try boiling an 18 pack all at once, throw out most of the yolks and you can eat all the whites you want. It really helps me. Push through this motivation lull. Thanks for the "benefits" list, printing that. I see myself in The Rambler. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey anonymous - I probably haven't been intentional enough in selectively planning my menus - and I agree - eggs are a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete