Monday, May 2, 2011

Winning

Hey blogosphere!

Since we last tuned in, the Crawler has become known as the Toddler, the restaurant is now the ex-employer, and I've seen the inside of the campus rec center about three times. The Virus-of-the-Month subscription has been arriving steadily without fail, and I'm about to add the letters "MS" to my name. After, not before. All of a sudden, I've run into some free time.

The Crawler is now the Toddler
So I've been doing some reading. Mostly career guidance stuff. But I don't think I'm really looking for career guidance so much as tiny bits of wisdom that I can put into practice here or there.

One of the books was actually an audiobook by Stephen Covey of "7 Habits" fame. Another was an older book with really bad advice on investing but some creative advice on positive thinking. The other day, I stumbled on an excerpt from an upcoming book by the guy who created a semi-satirical blog called "Stuff Christians Like". I'm not sold on the author or the book, but reading between the lines, there was some good stuff there.

Covey talks alot about purpose and focusing on ways to make contributions somehow, even if they seem insignificant. The investment book offered ways to create opportunities from losses. This book excerpt I read the other day made a point about discipline and focus being contagious.

Unlike Charlie Sheen, I'm still not sure how to get a warlock brain, tiger blood, or fire-breathing fists. But these things I've read in the past couple of months all point toward "winning". All the time. No matter what.

So I'm gonna try to put wisdom into practice by entering a weight loss competition with The Wife and some friends. It's guys versus girls, naturally, in a four-on-four couples' challenge. 12 weeks - highest team percentage of weight lost wins. Yeah, kinda like Biggest Loser, except without the hot Hollywood trainers screaming obscenities down your neck. Credit for this contest format goes to our friends, The Armstrongs.

The first week's results: Women 1.7%, Men 2.0%.

Winning - it's not just for breakfast anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I can say from our similar experience that women vs. men is not the best way to go for a fair competition, BUT we are all losing thereby making us all WINNERS! Good luck to all. Being healthy is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, 30 WHILE 30 instead. Still works!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete